Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Thing 3

I read through the information on Technorati...feel like I am having to learn a new language. I used it to search for storytimes...limited to English and to any authority...but I don't exactly what the authority is based on. I got 605 hits but as I tried to read through them they were not what I had hoped for...not relevent to what I do in my job. Then I used the Google Blog Search and got many many more hits and liked the format better...perhaps because I am used to way Google displays results. I limited my search to Hedgehog storytimes for both blog search engines and still preferred the Google blog search over Technorati. On Technorati I got 6 hits and didn't like any of them...somehow the word hedgehog was mentioned but not in relation to storytime or books! The Google search gave me 1,220 hits and although I didn't go past the second page the results seemed to be much better...actual storytimes using hedgehog books, puppets, the real thing, etc...which is what I wanted.
Twice while searching I got the Operation Aborted and had to go back in.
I find that whenever I am online searching sites there is invariably so much information that I get lost going from link to link and when I try to return later on I can't remember which way I had wandered!
I did ask my storytime moms this morning if any of them blogged and 2 out of 10 said they did. One mom who did not blog expressed concern about maybe being left behind in the world of technology. But she also said that TV, movies, computers, etc...are not are big part of their lives...she has a one year old and a four year old.
I tend to agree with that when it comes to the little kids.

1 comment:

  1. I think your post shares serves as a reminder of why information professionals, i.e. library staff, need to stay on top of these technologies. If we can't make information searching make sense, then how can help our patrons? We have to find methods of using technology to streamline information gathering. Hopefully your journey through 23 Things will help! :) Welcome to the program.

    ReplyDelete